Sunday, November 29, 2009

MPLS: Small City, Big Companies



After a fairly thorough reading, I throw away most of my magazines (Fortune, Barron's, TC Business). But I always keep my copy of Fortune
"Fortune 500". (May 4, 2009)

Last year, Minnesota had 20. But due to NWA's merger with Delta we are back into the teens. And, due to PepsiAmerica's merger with PepsiCo (which was featured in this week's Barron's), we'll be down to 18 next year!

But something else caught my eye this week: F500's HQ'd by city. More specifically, what caught my eye is that only NYC, Houston, and Dallas have more F500's than Minneapolis! We have more HQ'd here than Los Angeles or San Francisco, and are tied with the midwestern heavyweight of Chicago.

In the end, this may be somewhat of a moot point. The more relevant measurement is F500's by Metro area, and by that measure I'm sure MSP would fall somewhat compared to Chicago, SFO, LAX.

Nonetheless, I find it something to be proud of. Another way of conducting this assessment would be F500's per capita. In other words, there are 5.2 million Minnesotans and 19 F500s. That equates to a F500 for every 273,000 Minnesotans!

In comparison:
  • Texas has a F500 for every 380,000 residents (64 : 24.3 million residents)
  • California has a F500 for every 664,000 residents (51 : 33.9 million residents)
  • New York has a F500 for every 348,000 residents (56 : 19.5 million residents)
I think this statistic indicates Minnesota's ability to maintain a "Big City" feel with a "Small City" touch - perhaps a unique combination.

Just this weekend, a friend was visiting from Silicon Valley. We were hanging out in Peavey Park on Friday evening. It was full of people coming-and-going from Holidazzle, as well as people on their way to Orchestra Hall.

While there, I "just knew" I'd run into a friend in the local finance community. Sure enough, my Securities Law professor walked by. It didn't surprise me, but my Silicon Valley friend was amazed. The "closeness" that we have here (as evidenced by my story) separates us from the Gotham City-ness of NYC, Chicago, or Silicon Valley. We get the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment